Saturday, February 21, 2015

Let it blow



Let's talk about nose blowing shall we?

Everyone blows their nose.  Some people are very dainty and you hardly notice when they blow, others are a bit louder and then there are the trumpeters who can alert a whole office when they relieve the proboscis of its mucus.

There are tissue users, hanky people, sleeve users and my personal favorite the snot shooter who can just plug up one nostril and send a hunk of boogers flying through the air!  (This takes talent) 

I think that most people...blow, wipe and then dispose of the preferred snot receptacle.   

Runny watery noses are just a pain.  You blow and blow and it seems like there is an endless amount of salty slime pouring out and a whole box of tissues are consumed in a matter of hours. 

Sinus infections leave you blocked so that no matter how hard you blow, you get a little relief and then a cork of thick gloppy gunk plugs it back up again.

There is the phantom booger - you blow your nose, feel a little chunk dislodge and then when you look at your tissue...there is nothing there.  I often recite Rosanna Danna in these cases and quote, "Hey...where'd that little white thing go?"  I then run to the nearest mirror to make sure I'm not wearing my little boog like jewelry.

Which brings me to this question?  Do you look at your tissue after you blow your nose?  A curious glance perhaps?   

I think it's pretty normal for people to take a peek.    

Looking is fine…lingering is gross. 

An older gentleman came in with his wife and other family members today.  He stood just to the right side of my register while his family was browsing.

He sniffled a bit, pulled a wrinkled hanky from his pocket and BLEW!  He wasn't a trumpeter…he was a trombone.  A trombone underwater.   

The sound reverberated throughout the whole shop!  

Since he was standing right next to me I looked over at him and not only was he checking out the gigantic goober that was dislodged from his nose…he was smooshing it between the fabric of his hanky.   

I stifled a gag and quickly turned away.   

I don't know how long he played with the phlegm ball he was so clearly proud of, but that is one image I would like to try to exorcise from my brain as quickly as possible thankyouverymuch.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Thanks for the chuckle. You didn't mention frozen boogers. I had bus duty yesterday and when I came inside I felt a huge frozen booger in my nose. I couldn't dislodge it. When I inhaled.....never mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frozen boogers and bloody boogers are often troublesome during the winter time.

      Delete